Our vision is to have an empowered nurse who is motivated and able to continuously uphold professional excellence.
Our work through ZUNO and above all, as nurses, is guided by a common and internationally accepted philosophy of nursing: a commitment to caring in the fullest sense, being advocates for our patients, helping people to help themselves and doing for people what they would do unaided if they had the necessary strength, will or knowledge.
Therefore, while upholding this philosophy, ZUNO will insist and demand for social and economic justice for all nurses as a reward from their employers regardless of the sector.
Zambia Union of Nurses Organisation is committed to being a vibrant, self-sustaining, Professional and Socio-Economic Welfare Organisation that will protect and promote the interests of nurses and midwives through effective representation and capacity building. In so doing, ZUNO will promote the highest level of professionalism and integrity in the delivery of health care services to the community.
1. Holistic Representation
5. Visionary and innovative leadership
6. Commitment, transparency and accountability (CTA)
Objectives of ZUNO
1. To recruit and unite nurses into one single Organisation in order to enable them share their professional, social and economic welfare.
2. To advocate for better socio-economic welfare for nurses through collective bargaining with employers, by securing improved wages and better conditions of service.
3. To ensure job security of members, to advance their employment prospects and to serve their individual and collective interests.
4. To initiate and organize training programmes which adequately prepare the ZUNO and nursing leadership and members in the practice of various negotiating skills, for resolving employment concerns i.e. grievance procedures, collective bargaining, arbitration and conciliation.
5. To network with other trade unions, trade union federations, labour institutions and professional bodies for the benefit of members.
6. To maintain the professional set standards and ensure that the conduct of nurses and midwives is in conformity with laid down ethics.
7. To raise the status and image of nurses and midwives through the provision of continuing education and to maintain their integrity, respect and to generally promote and safeguard their professional knowledge and interests.
8. To provide legal advice or assistance to ZUNO members as deemed necessary.
9. To regulate collective relations between employees and employers or between employees and organisations of employers, or between employees and employees..
10. To serve as the authoritative voice for nurses, midwives and the nursing profession as a whole in Zambia.
Functions of ZUNO
1. To promote high professional ideals among members by taking steps necessary from time to time to further their knowledge, education and experience.
2. To collectively bargain and negotiate for improved salaries and conditions of service for nurses and midwives.
3. To initiate the formation of ZUNO Branches in places where Nurses are working.
4. To assist members in promoting and improving health services for the public.
5. To advocate for nurse involvement in health and social policy formulation so as to influence health outcomes.
6. To provide professional advice to government and other stake holders on both policy and non-policy matters affecting Nursing and public health as a whole.
7. To print, publish and circulate any journal, newsletter or similar documents providing information for Nurses and midwives on professional or other matters and as a media for free exchange of opinion.
8. To raise funds, borrow or invest money in any such way as will expedite the interests of ZUNO.
9. To acquire, whether by purchase or outright or other disposition, land and building for the general purposes of ZUNO.
10. To raise funds by subscription of its members and functions or methods as seen suitable and accept donations and other contributions of all kinds for the benefit of ZUNO.
11. To establish and maintain liaison/or cooperate with other national and international organisations and to represent ZUNO at National and International fora.
12. To assist Nurse Retirees or Retrenchees secure possible entrepreneur means of participating in the informal sector development for continued social and economic survival.
13. To assist nurse retirees and trenchees in every possible way that can facilitate easy access to their terminal benefits, once proved that one is discriminated or unfairly treated.
14. To help promote, establish or carry on or assist in the provision of social support services for the benefit of members, their widows, widowers, orphaned children and legally adopted dependants.
15. To promote the welfare of nursing students and equip them to take their rightful places in the profession, and contribute to the development of the health of the nation.
16. To promote activities of nursing interest groups and participate in capacity building programmes.
17. To carry out all such other lawful actions as may be incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objectives of ZUNO.